4 Carlton Road
This was built in 1909 for Sidney Dorling a greengrocer. It was taken over in 1919 by John Woodrow a fruiterer (John Woodrow was mayor of Lowestoft on several occasions) and in 1945 by S. Gibbs & Sons also fruiterers. It merged with 6/6a Carlton Road in 1948 and is currently (2005) a fried fish shop
6/6a Carlton Road
This was built in 1888 for George Middleton a baker and was sold in 1909 to A. Crisp a bookseller. It continued as booksellers until 1948 being run by William Smith from 1932 and Edward Johnson from 1938. It merged with No. 4 in 1948 to become S. Gibbs and Sons fishmongers and fruiterers
8 Carlton Road
This was built in 1909 for George Middleton a baker who transferred from No. 6. It became a fancy drapers in 1919 owned by the Misses Kirby and an outfitters owned by Harold Rounce in 1954.
16 St. John’s Road
16 St. John’s Road was built in 1868 and was inhabited by James Simnet a carter. Between 1873 and 1892, Robert Simnet a coal merchant lived here followed by George Rampling a billposter. After 1896, Mrs. Rampling (wife?) lived there on her own leaving in 1914. Between then and 1924, Edward Welstead followed by Edward and Elizabeth Jarvis until 1951 inhabited 16 St. John’s Road.
In 1953 Victoria Madgwick acquired the property followed by Frederick Spargo between 1956 and 1960. Frederick was succeeded by Thomas and Kathleen Brown and, in 1998 by Robert and Angela Whittaker. Mr. and Mrs. Whittaker still live in the property (2004)
In 1914 George William Skippen lived at Lily House, 36 St George’s Road, Lowestoft at the bottom of Morton Road that was built sometime between 1927 and 1945. It was not far from Pakefield and is in the current Waveney District Council Pakefield ward.
Kessingland Road, Pakefield went from at least the rifle range on the A12 near Pontins to the tram terminus by the Tramways Public House less than half a mile from St George’s Road. It seems likely that part of it became London Road, Pakefield on the incorporation of Pakefield into Lowestoft in 1936.
It seems highly probable that Morton Athletic F.C. played on the sight that was known as Skippen’s Field on what is now Morton Road and that the road was named after the firm of Morton’s and not Sir Samuel Morton Peto Bt.