Empire Building Estate
In March 1904 Esau Graveling was involved in some way with the auction of 248 plots of building land on the Empire Building Estate. This estate was in an area bounded by Normanston Drive (then Beccles
Road), the main road from Oulton Broad to Yarmouth (then Yarmouth Road, now Gorleston Road) and what is now Higher Drive. On 23rd April 1904 these plots were auctioned at the Coffee Pot Temperance Hotel (soon to become the Oulton Broad Urban District Council offices) Bridge Road, Oulton Broad by Archer Notley of Notleys’ auctioneers. Only four plots were sold.
Lowestoft Borough Council Planning Committee held on 29th February 1904 at the Town Clerks offices.
The Borough Surveyor submitted plans for 182 building plots on the Empire Building Estate off Beccles Road together with details of drainage, water supply and cesspits drawn on behalf of Mr. Esau Graveling by John Whatling FSA (an architect of Elmhurst, Hall Road, Oulton Broad). The surveyor reported that the Mutford and Lothingland Rural District Council had already agreed to plans for the 66 plots lying in their area. It was agreed, “That these plans be approved”
According to the 1911 electoral register; Esau Graveling lived at the cottage, Normanston Hall, Beccles Road, Lowestoft.
David Albert Victor Rist
Rist’s were a firm of cable and wire manufacturers based from 1919 to 1927 at Crompton Road Oulton Broad A. Rist & Co. In 1927 they moved to Waveney Works Freemantle Road Lowestoft where they stayed until 1939. They also had depots at Economy Road and New Point works Whapload Road They moved to Nuneaton during the Second World War and never returned.
Albert Rist lived at 3 New Delight Cottages Victoria Road Oulton Broad from 1919 to 1930 then moved to Langdale Park Estate Oulton Broad where he lived until 1939. He was a Lowestoft Borough Councillor for the Oulton Broad ward between 1923 and 1929.