This was in an area bounded by Oulton Broad, the Lowestoft – Norwich Railway and Caldicott Road
Here are a few extracts from the minutes of the General Purposes Committee of the Oulton Broad Urban District Council. The Coffee Pot was situated in Bridge Road Oulton Broad and became the council offices. It is now the Oulton Broad Branch Library.
21st July 1905 at the Coffee Pot: The plan for a house for Mr. A. Clarke on the Park Estate was refused as not being in accordance with the byelaws.
29th August 1905 at the Coffee Pot: The estate plan submitted by Mr. A. Clarke for the Park Estate was approved.
26th September 1905 at the Coffee Pot: The plan for a house on the Park Estate for Mr. Clarke. It was resolved “That Mr. Clarke’s plan be referred back to him asking for further particulars as to drainage and that the Medical Officer of Health be asked to give his opinion on the matter.”
23rd October 1905 at the Coffee Pot: The Surveyor submitted that the plan of Mr. Clarke which was referred back from the last meeting and stated that he had got no further particulars from him with regard to the cesspool. It was resolved ”That the further consideration of the plan be postponed until the next meeting of this committee.”
1st November 1905 at the Coffee Pot: Resolved “That consideration of the plan be adjourned until the next meeting of this committee and that the clerk write to Mr. Clarke in the meantime asking him to furnish the committee with particulars in writing as to the septic tank.”
28th November 1905 at the Coffee Pot: A letter had been received from Mr. Clarke as to the plan of “The Croft, Park Estate” showing the proposed drainage. It was resolved “That the plan be passed subject to a proper efficient septic tank being installed as per the plans deposited.”
29th October 1906 at the Council Offices: The plan for a lodge on Oulton Park Estate for G. J. Grimsdick “be not passed and that he be asked to make an increase in the size of the cesspool.”
28th November 1906 at the Council Offices: The Surveyor submitted the reply from Mr Grimsdick’s architect as to the plan submitted by him. It was resolved “That the plan be passed as amended."
25th February 1907 at the Council Offices: The plans for Mr. Cooke’s house on the Park Estate were submitted and approved.
23rd March 1908 at the Council Offices: The plan for a cottage for Miss G. Peto on Oulton Park Estate was submitted and passed.
24th May 1909 at the Council Offices: The Surveyor submitted a plan of a house on Oulton Park Estate for Mr. A. G. Beckett and reported that the same was in order. It was resolved “That the same be passed.”
25th January 1910 at the Council Offices: The Surveyor submitted the following plans, which were in order.
- House on Oulton Park Estate for Mr. F. G. Allen
- House on Oulton Park Estate for Mr. Hall.
It was resolved “That the same be passed.”
26th September 1910 at the Council Offices: The Surveyor submitted plans for a house on the Oulton Park Estate for the Misses Smith. This plan was however withdrawn for an amended plan to be submitted.
20th December 1912 at the Council Offices: A plan was received for a cottage on the Oulton Park Estate for Mrs Meale. It was resolved “That this plan be passed subject to the nearest part of the house being no nearer than 30 feet from the cesspool if the latter is out in the from of the house.
Position Of Houses
The roads on the Park Estate were named in 1933, the main ones being Borrow Road, Romany Road and Broadview Road.
The following houses can be placed
The Croft – Broadview Road
According to 1908 Kelly’s W. Ulric Cookes lived in Avonholme. This was in Broadview Road.
According to 1913 Kelly’s the Misses Smith lived in Coogee. This was in Romany Road.