The Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen was established in 1881
The Lowestoft Sailors and Fishermen’s Home was established at 20 Commercial Road in 1867 and continued on this sight until 1963 when it became the Peto Coffee Bar and Youth Club. It later became the Metro.
At 16 Waveney Road John Godbold established some Coffee Rooms in 1892. This became the fishermen’s shelter and refreshment rooms in 1902. In 1939 the Salvation Army established a Red Shield Club on the site followed by a furniture store for Percy Wigg’s in 1948. The RNMDSF moved back in in 1959 and the building was converted into flats in 1998.
Seaview Temperance Hotel
The Seaview Temperance was based at 38 High Street between 1872 and 1900 (proprietors James and Clara Plant) when it moved to Waveney Road next door to Columbus Buildings when the proprietor was Lionel Clowe. Between 1935 and 1951 Steven and Eileen Forster ran it. From 1952 it was converted to a café with the floors above being rented by, amongst others the National Docks Labour Board. MAFF Fisheries Office, Ministry of Transport Driving Test Centre, the Royal Auxiliary Air Force women’s section, Lovewell Blake and Boston Deep Sea Fisheries. In 1991 it was incorporated into Columbus Buildings.
4 Spurgeon Score
This house was built in 1892 and was inhabited between 1892 and 1896 by Arthur Jackson a fisherman. He was succeeded in the property by James Yallop who lived there until 1911 and by Harry Twitchett between 1912 and 1920. Between 1921 and 1927 James and Hannah Meek lived here followed by the Misses Edith and Gladys Holbrook until 1937. In 1938 Robert Capps-Jenner moved in being joined by his wife Josephine in 1945. They lived here until 1986 when Robert died, his wife staying until her death in 1995. Between 1996 and the present time (2002) the house has been occupied by Sandra Wilkinson.
11 Winnipeg Road
This house was built in 1911 and was inhabited by Edward James Osbourne. In 1919 George Shadforth and his wife Harriet acquired the property. (George was mayor of Lowestoft in 1930 and 1931). From 1912 until 1996, various members of the Lark family inhabited 11 Winnipeg Road. In 1921 Edgar William and Lily Martha Lark moved in and were joined between 1929 and 1931 by their son Edgar Walter. In 1948 Lily seems to have died because Audrey Elizabeth Lark (2nd wife/daughter) was living in the property with Edgar William. In 1969 Beryl Lark joined Edgar and Audrey. After Edgar died in 1977 Audrey and Beryl lived in the house until 1996 when the house became empty. It remains empty to the present day (2008).
14 Wellington Cottages
This property was built in 1882 and was inhabited by J. Woodrow a carpenter. In 1891 John Moss acquired the house. The 1891 censes describes him as a preserved tine base maker aged 24 born in Oulton Village with Laura his wife aged 22 and three children aged between 4 months and 4 years. In 1893, Stephen Baldry a labourer moved in being followed in 1896 by Walter Nunn. The 1901 census describes him as a non-domestic gardener aged 41 being born in Huntingfield with his wife Mary aged 42 and six children aged between 15 and 4 months. The eldest son, Percy aged 17 is described as an errand boy.
In 1909 a Mrs Spicer moved in followed by Frederick and Elsie Jervis in 1933. In 1945 Benjamin and Hilda Nicholls being joined by their son Gilbert between 1949 and 1951 inhabited 14 Wellington Cottages. They lived here until Benjamin died in 1965, Hilda carrying on until 1971. In 1971 Gerald and Doris Sparks acquired the property followed by Malcolm and Olga Pitchers in 1978. Their daughter Avril lived with them between 1979 and 1982 and they moved out in 1988 when Rodney and Betty Hunter arrived. In 1992 Charles O’Neill acquired the property in which he lived until 1996. He married Jeanette in this year and they lived in 14 Wellington Cottages together until 1999. Leah Potts has lived there from then until the present time (2003).
Arlington, North Parade
Arlington was built in 1894 and owned by Ernest William Estcourt. At a meeting of the Lowestoft Borough Council Planning Committee held on 13th December 1893 at the Town Hall it was reported “The Surveyor reported on the plans for a house on North Parade as submitted by Mr. Estcourt. The plans were satisfactory except for the siting of the cesspit. It was agreed that the plans be passed with the provision that the cesspit be resited on the right hand side of the house”. At a meeting of the Town Council held on 16th January 1894 at the Town Hall “The Surveyor reported on his meeting with Mr. Estcourt with reference to resiting of the cesspit at Mr. Escourt’s house on North Parade. Mr. Estcourt had agreed to move the cesspit as required. It was therefore agreed that the plans be passed”. At this stage the house was called Ravina. Steward Sterry acquired the house in 1910 and lived in it upto 1919.
In 1920 Dr. William Tyson MA, BCh (Cantab), FRCS (Edin), MRCS (Eng), LRCP (Lond) a physician and surgeon acquired the property and re-named it North Cottage. He practiced and lived here until 1928 when Dr. Vincent P. Norman MD and his wife Mary moved in. The house was re-named Arlington in 1934 on its acquisition by William Frederick and Agnes Cockrell. (William Cockrell was deputy mayor of Lowestoft between 1940 and 1945). In 1953 James and Catherine May Ayres bought the property and, after James died in 1958, Catherine lived in the house alone until 1971. Richard and Patricia Morling moved in in 1971 remaining there until the present day (2004).