The soil directly beneath the cobbled floor terminated at approximately 8½ inches and subsequently revealed a layer of very small crushed brick and mortar fragments across the entire floor to a thickness of ¾ inch. Beneath this lay another concentration of very mixed almost loamy soil containing earthenware, stoneware, oyster shells, glass and several hazel nut shells. Three pieces of pin tile including one with partial glazing on the upper surface and coarseware pottery were recovered in this layer as well as a large incised rim from a shallow dish. The soil removal adjacent to the south wall exposed a clay foundation and embedded in the clay were a number of oyster shells and fragments of two frilly based jugs.
From the style of some of the pottery from this layer it would seem that some was characteristic of the 16th century. The presence of the frilly based forms would suggest probable trade with the Low Countries which again would tie in with the blue and white tile remains encountered earlier.
The mixed soils finally terminated at very dark mixed sand some 13 inches below the crushed brick spread and fragments of both bone and pottery were still being encountered actually in the sand, before finally it became barren as the sand became clean and undisturbed.
As expected, over all the main group of pottery belongs to the period roughly between 1700-1800 with a number of exceptions. The reason for this being that some proportion of the in filled soil had been brought in to its present position. As far as the bone remains are concerned there are quite a number for such a small area.
The majority are quite small and roughly 90% have been butchered and these include several splintered remains. There distribution was throughout the infill and the same applies to the oyster shells.
There were approximately 21 inches of mixed soils before unbroken sand was encountered and I think it unlikely that the high content of bone remains were found in their original location. It is more likely they were consumed nearby and came in amongst the mixed soils which were employed to build up the floor level prior to the laying of the flint cobbles.