St John Ambulance in Lowestoft is urging local residents to learn first aid, whilst sharing their memories and stories of the charity’s work in the town . A new heritage exhibition, which marks 100 years of the charity in Lowestoft was opened in October 2014 by HRH The Duke of Gloucester.
In 2012 a grant of £11,500 was awarded by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) for the centenary project, which is being led by volunteers from the local community. Further grants were received from the Community Development Foundation and the Suffolk St. John County Priory Group. The exhibition captures and publicises the local history of the organisation, encouraging everyone in the local community to find out more about the life saving work of St John Ambulance in Lowestoft, from 1914 to the present day.
The project is being led by existing St John and St John Fellowship volunteers, supported by the Lowestoft Heritage Workshop Centre in Lowestoft High Street. With a strong emphasis on involving all sections of the community in both the current and historical legacy of St John Ambulance, the heritage centre at the Lowestoft St John Ambulance headquarters includes displays, showing the development of first aid over the last 100 years. People will also get the chance to learn the latest first aid skills.
As part of the project a book which chronicles the first hundred years of St John Ambulance in Lowestoft has been produced by local St John volunteers, Tony Curd and Duncan Parnell. The book entitled Lowestoft St John Ambulance 100 photographs for 100 years of service - 1914 to 2014 contains many, previously unseen, photographs taken from the heritage archives. Many of the photographs are in colour. Copies are available at a price of £9.50 each, from the Heritage Workshop Centre, The Old Schoolhouse, Wiles Score, 88a High Street, Lowestoft or to buy online .